We can help you ensure that the data you get from Google Analytics (GA) and Google Tag Manager (GTM) is reliable so you can use it to make confident decisions about where to allocate your team’s resources and budget.
If your GA or GTM is newly set up or hasn’t been reviewed for some time this could be vital to help you:
- report accurately on return on ad spend
- calculate true return on investment
- get an accurate idea of who’s visiting your website and what they’re doing
We review your existing GA and GTM setups, compare the data to CRM or transactional data, spot inconsistencies then give you detailed recommendations on how to improve the set up of each. We find this process works best if you are using GA3/GA4 and GTM already in your organisation.
How we do it
We have a tried and tested process that’s helped charities like Mencap, Young Lives Vs Cancer and the Royal College of Surgeons be more confident in the decisions they make off the back of their data. We start by making sure we have a clear picture of your setup and the reasons and assumptions behind it.
- Discovery: We talk to the people involved, facilitating a detailed discussion with the teams in your organisation who need to be confident in your data.
- Review: We carry out a comprehensive audit of your current technical systems and processes. This covers:
- Data planning – we talk to the wider team to understand organisational objectives and plan a measurement framework, defining objectives and KPIs so teams can set realistic targets and report on them.
- Google Analytics audit – we audit your GA3 or GA4 setup using our 150 point checklist to make sure it’s well organised.
- Back-end data comparison – we compare your e-commerce/CRM data with GA to ensure the collected data is accurate. With cookie control/iOS14 changes, having data flow in a predictable way is really important.
- GTM implementation – we review the current configuration and deployment of tags to ensure they’re capturing information from the data layer accurately. Implementing the latest processes and technologies like Server-side tag tracking.
- Third-party pixel review and implementation – through GTM we can ensure you have a correct set-up for Facebook Ads, Google Ads, Bing Ads, dynamic remarketing pixels etc.
- Recommendations: We analyse what we find, compare it against our knowledge of best practice in data setups and give you detailed recommendations on how to close any gaps. We can either implement recommendations for you, work with your internal team to help them do this or brief the work to partner agencies if you have existing arrangements (web development, UX, CRM). This can include:
- Analytics fixes
- GTM fixes and redeployment
Why work with us
- We have open and flexible pricing – we only cost work after a full review and don’t estimate without having spoken to your team or looked at your set up
- We’re adaptable – we work with you to create the best possible solution, briefing in work for retained agencies if you already have agreements in place
- We all have reams of charity experience – we know charity and tech processes, charity data set ups and terminology and can bridge any gaps between your delivery and product teams
Who we’ve worked with
- Mencap – We reviewed Mencap’s GA and GTM set up, leading to a complete restructure that improved data collection, flow of data between departments and allowed the central digital team to be confident in the data they were providing colleagues across the organisation
- Parkinson’s – After reviewing third-party tools and discussing the reporting needs of internal teams, we produced easy to understand dashboards via Google Data Studio, helping the marketing and fundraising teams track and report on their successes.
- Royal College of Surgeons – We worked with the internal team to understand their reporting needs then overhauled the set up and built custom reports to help them collect e-commerce data in an accurate and consistent way and report accurately on sales and income to the wider department.
We’re working with Mencap to expand on work we’ve done previously to review their GA set up and streamline their properties. Read all about it here.
What our clients say
“We have worked with Platypus on a number of big projects, including developing Google Data Studio dashboards that our teams can work with on a daily basis. The team at Platypus work really hard to understand what we need for each piece of
work and communicate clearly at each stage of the project. It is great to work with an agency who ‘get us’ and can help us with such a wide variety of digital projects in such a knowledgeable way.”
- Emily Sturdy, Digital Supporter Engagement Lead, Parkinson’s UK