We (Platypus Digital) are looking for a freelance paid search specialist to join our search marketing team.
You will plan, set up and optimise cross-channel Google Ads campaigns for our charity clients across search and display.
We want to hear from you if you are:
- super-keen on search marketing and Google Ad Grants
- passionate about making a positive difference in the world through your work
- lovely to work with
- someone who has worked in-house at a charity or in an agency
About the role
Location: Currently remote.
Role type: Freelance or fixed term contract. We will also consider part time, full time and job share.
Closing date for applications: Rolling applications. We will keep recruitment open until we find the right candidate.
How to apply: This position is now closed. Please use the speculative applications form on our Jobs page.
We believe in using digital marketing for good. That’s why we use our skills in search marketing, social media advertising, data, Analytics and more to help charities.
We raise money for their campaigns, we bring their life-changing information to more people who need it, and we raise awareness of their vital work. That’s what you’ll be helping to achieve in this role.
Search marketing – 65% of your time
- Help maintain our clients Google Ads and Ad Grants accounts. You’ll work on areas like policies, keyword bids, budgets, impression share and quality score.
- Contribute to detailed keyword research and recommendations based on account structures and goals
- Draft effective, keyword-rich ad copy. You’ll tailor the copy to our clients’ objectives and Google’s best practices
- Use tools like Optmyzr, Wordstream and SEMrush, and information from user and stakeholder research to benchmark Google Ads account activity.
- Communicate with clients about all their paid search activity
Display advertising – 15% of your time
- Liaise with clients to optimise search, display prospecting and remarketing campaigns on Google Ads and the Google Display Network
- Contribute to planning campaign journeys using Google Analytics and platform-specific reporting tools
- Make creative recommendations based on insights from well planned creative and audience tests
Reporting – 20% of your time
- Build reports for clients using Google Data Studio and other third party reporting tools that show how we are meeting their objectives
- Report existing campaign activity, weekly tasks, optimisations and key insights to clients.
- Plan and build monthly insights reports covering important metrics like conversion rate, revenue and cost per acquisition
- Tell clients what they should do with the information in reports
Working with clients and the team – all the time
- Work with our clients to make sure we get the most out of our relationship and they are happy with our work
- Tell colleagues immediately when something goes wrong so they can help fix it
- Talk to colleagues about how projects are going
- Individual or agency Google Ads certifications from Google in Fundamentals, Search, Display, Video and Google Analytics.
- Demonstrable understanding of search marketing
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to look at a set of data, and make recommendations off the back of it
Nice to have
- Experience in a digital campaigning or fundraising role in a charity
- Experience of working in agencies
- Managing projects using cloud-based tools like Asana and Google Drive
- We only work for charities, so we look for commitment to charities and good causes in our candidates. This can be shown by having worked in charities, fundraising for or donating to charities, or volunteering for charities.
- Desire to live our values through your work and communication
- Ability to set a high standard for yourself and others in quality and efficiency of work
- Manage upward to use the expertise of others and flag concerns at the right times
- Natural curiosity in finding the best solution to problems yourself
- Strong belief and trust in the expertise of colleagues and clients
- Ability to delegate to others where needed
- Desire to help junior colleagues to develop and look out for their welfare
Platypus Digital is a Living Wage accredited employer.
We have a blind recruitment process in place for this role to minimise the possibility of unconscious bias.
This means our shortlist will have names, education, links to social media profiles and locations removed to reduce the chance of unconscious bias, so we only take candidates forward based on ability.
Here’s the whole process.
- Applicants complete an online application form
- Personal information is removed by our HR company
- They share the long-list with Platypus Digital
- Platypus Digital shortlists based on application answers alone
- Our HR company contacts the shortlisted candidates to arrange interview times (early and late slots are available)
- The interview will start with a time limited test for the candidate to work through alone.
- The interview questions will test search marketing ability. They will be scored individually by the panel, which will include someone from our HR company.
- After the interview, the panel will gather the completed sheets and calculate scores.
- Finally, we contact the successful candidate.
These will cover:
- how well you would adhere to our values (weighted one third of the total score)
- details of you create and optimise search campaigns (weighted one third of the total score)
- how you would communicate with our clients using email, video call and (when it’s safe) in-person meetings (weighted one third of the total score)
Promotion of this role
We are promoting this role through:
- Our email list
- Our individual networks via email and social media
- One to one outreach by our staff and clients to reach networks it wouldn’t normally reach
- Umbrella organisations like Black Women in Tech
- One to one outreach
The interview panel will be Matt Collins (MD), Will Cardy (Head of search and data, who will work with the post holder) and Sian Whittington of Bespoke HR (who support Platypus Digital in all aspects of HR).
The three interviewers will score each answer 1 (not demonstrated ability), 2 (partially demonstrated ability and 3 (fully demonstrated ability).
Interview scores will then be compared across three interviewers
Total scores will be compared to find a candidate who demonstrates ability to do the job
Where ability scores are equal, the candidate with the best values scores will be selected
Contact us for more info
If you have any questions about the role, drop Will an email at [email protected].
If you want to know more about the hiring process, just email Matt at [email protected].